American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification Course
Thank you for your interest in a Blueray Aquatics lifeguard certification course. Before you register, please read through all the prerequisites listed on this page. Blueray offers the American Red Cross’s award winning “Blended Learning” course. Blended learning combines the flexibility of online learning with hands- on training. With a blended learning course you receive a full certification and can begin taking the course immediately after registering. After you successfully complete the course you will be awarded a 2 year Lifeguard Certification issues by the American Red Cross.
The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding
course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants
with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize
and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide
care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries
and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services
(EMS) personnel take over.
■Complete the Mandatory Online Course before Day 1
■Attend and participate in all class sessions.
■ Demonstrate competency in all required skills
■ Demonstrate competency in all required final
rescue skill scenarios.
■ Pass both the Section 1—CPR/AED for the
Professional Rescuer and First Aid and
Section 2—Lifeguarding Skills final written exams
with minimum grades of 80%
Prerequisite Physical Skills Test
Before you begin the your 1st skills session, participants are required to successfully pass a prerequisite physical skills test. The test will be performed first thing on day 1 to assure that you can complete all the skills required to successfully complete the course.
1. Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of this course.
2. 300-yard swim using front crawl or breaststroke
3. 2-minute tread using legs only
4. Retrieve a 10-lb dive weight from 7 ft deep, surface and swim 20 yards with the weight, using legs only and exit the pool without using a ladder within 100 seconds
Required Online Course
The online component of the Blended learning course is mandatory and has to be completed before the first class meeting date.
If it is not completed, you will not be allowed to participate in the physical skills sessions.
- The online course takes about 6-8 hours to complete.
- It is recommended to space the course out and read the chapters in each section before moving on.
- Make sure you do not lose your progress by signing out every time you want to take a break or exit the e-learning web page
- Please arrive on time, give yourself enough time to change into your suit and apply sunblock
- Complete the entire online course sections
- Read ALL chapters in the manual as you complete each lesson online.
- Do not take longer than the allocated time for lunch
What To Bring to Class
- Swimsuit and towel for the skills evaluation and for every class.
- Lifeguard Manual: Download & View Here
- Packed lunch and(or) lunch money (there are limited food options in the immediate area)
- Proof of online completion- Screenshot, email, or printed form.
- Light sweater or jacket for the classroom portion.
- Sunblock and sun protection (e.g. rashguard, hats, sunglasses)
- Additional towels
- Swim goggles
Before you move on to the registration process, please make sure to check everything off the following list:
- Course Purpose
- Prerequisite physical skills test
- Course Location
- Online course requirement
- What to bring to class
For any additional questions please contact customer service at email@example.com